Monday, November 28, 2011

THE GRATITUDE GROWS DEEPER


Today Melissa and I had the opportunity to visit Vitalik in the village of Mezinivka. The weather has grown colder making day trips like these much more daunting, but I'm so glad we made our way to see him. 

After Dusya, Sergei, and Vala headed back to the village of Ivanivka, Vitalik was given possession of the small house they were leaving behind. He's worked hard to make it his own, but with little jobs available in the village he has a long way to go. 
Vitalik's "heater" for his house.
We found Vitalik working hard building a fence for the village's sports field when we first arrived. We had brought along wallpaper for his kitchen and were able to pay off his debt at the local store for food. More than anything, today reminded me how grateful I am to still be a part of Vitalik's life after all these years.

Vitalik is no longer the little 7th grader with bleached blonde bangs we met years ago. He continues to struggle to maneuver his way through life and walking alongside him in his struggles is a privilege that goes beyond words.
Then: Our first summer with Vitalik - 2005
When we first started as a ministry, many people told me I needed to forget kids like Vitalik… the kids that had stolen my heart, but were too old to help, too troubled, too far gone – I need to set my sights on the younger kids. For many, Vitalik’s age wasn’t the only thing working against him. He had a great deal of anger towards authority and his stubbornness brought a lot of trouble his way. But what I saw, and still see, was an honest heart seeking to be loved. 
Now: After our day visiting with Vitalik
He was so grateful for the help we brought along today and his smile said it all. For me, I was so grateful to see a kid who is growing up, working hard, and in my life against all the odds after so many years. A little brother - that’s my gift and that is why I am so thankful for every single person who has believed, prayed, and encouraged to get us to this point in ministry. Because of your help and support, Vitalik wasn’t left behind and I am so thankful for that! 

1 comment:

  1. Just came across your blog on the Shepherds Staff website, this is an awesome ministry that you guys are doing, there is such a big need for ministries like this! God bless you and the work you are doing in His name!

    ReplyDelete